This Mashable infographic on location based services fascinates me in some respects:
- 90% of LBS Early Adopters were using Facebook Places, yet Facebook down played LBS. It took Places off the market but reintroduced check-ins by integrating it into a social status. “Checking into <place> with <these guys>”.
What’s not surprising:
- Early adopters are much more likely to use LBS apps for the social elements than mass consumers
- Mass consumers are much less interested in being the “mayor” of something. I always supposed early adopters were more “type A”.
- Larger chains are investing more readily in LBS, yet app users are advocating for the small mom & pop stores
- Interest in daily discount apps greatly exceeds interest in LBS apps