The Rise Of Contextual Social Networks
- Colleen Taylor – Reporter, TechCrunch
- Nate Johnson – VP of Marketing, Path
- Sarah Leary – Co-Founder, NextDoor
- Francesca Levy – Editor, LinkedIn Today
- @jennifer_dubow: Now it’s my turn to geek out in #commsocial panel at #sxswi on Contextual Social Networks.
- @JennyMack: #commsocial kicking off with intros. @Nextdoor is a private social network for neighborhoods
- called the “Dunbar number” (i think) RT @csassz: 150 friends is the limit for meaningful relationships #commsocial #sxsw
- @socialelements: Only about 2% of your #facebook friends are neighbors – @nextdoor #commsocial #sxswi
- @iamreffÂ Theme of #commsocial so far, “focus on smaller, close knit communities.”
- @ejspicklemire: RT @JanetKornas: Quality over quantity of interaction is increasingly important in social networking #commsocial #sxsw
- Path is mobile only. Version 3.0 came out this week. I’ve tried it and I really like it.
- @stapledee: .@path is the home of social networks. Facebook is the city.
- RT @stapledee: .@path is the home of social networks. Facebook is the city.
- @iamreff Johnson – Context tends to drives deeper more frequent interactions
- As humans, we understand the different versions of ourselves & we apply that to the social networks we use
- @JanetKornas: Content + Context = more stickines #commsocial #sxsw
- @iamrereff I don’t know about a bourbon drinkers network, but craft beer lovers use @untappd
- @iamreff The other reason niche networks don’t start on Facebook? difficult to monetize if you don’t own the content
- @sarabrody: Not every niche interest needs a social network. Path/LinkedIn aren’t about interests, they’re about behaviors. #commsocial #sxsw
- RT @sarabrody: Not every niche interest needs a social network. Path/LinkedIn aren’t about interests, they’re about behaviors.
- @JennyMack: Q: How is monetization possible for niche networks when even Facebook and Twitter are having trouble making it work? #commsocial #SXSW
- @iamreff Johnson – emojies are being used because ppl are trying to express more than they can with text
- @iamreffÂ Someone should build a “Square Space for building niche communities”
- @carmenhill: Figure out the metrics for your users to utilize your network. e.g., for Netflix, it’s getting 10 movies in your queue.
- @TabithaFierro: Love the marketing piece of old school postcards @nextdoor uses to recruit neighbors.
- #OldsCool RT @TabithaFierro: Love the marketing piece of old school postcards @nextdoor uses to recruit neighbors.
- @iamreffÂ Nike app – when friends like your exercise, you hear cheering while you run. Very Cool
- @sarabrody: Nike gets props for creating contextual social content via Path, FB, Twitter. Social feedback improving run times. For real?
- @iamreffÂ .@Path segments their customers by content: producers, consumers, both